Funding and Awards
There are several ways for students at the University of Kentucky to obtain funding for research-based, scholarly, or creative projects.
External Funding Opportunities
External grants and scholarships for undergraduate research activity are available. We encourage you to search online for other award sources, especially those supporting research in the arts and humanities. Our list is not comprehensive.
External Funding Opportunities
- American Heart Association Undergraduate Student Summer Fellowship
- American Physical Society awards and fellowships for women and minorities
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) Undergraduate Scholarship
- NASA Office of Education
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Undergraduate Scholarship Program (UGSP)
- NSF A–Z index of funding opportunities
- Psi Chi awards and grants
External Funding Requiring University Endorsement
Fellowships Requiring Undergraduate Research Experience
** These awards require a university endorsement. For more information on any of the scholarships listed, visit the Office of Nationally Competitive Awards.
- Astronaut Scholarship Foundation (ASF)**: This award competition is held annually or biennially with current sophomore and junior STEM majors planning to pursue a PhD in a STEM field. Research experience is a desirable qualification for student nominees.
- Goldwater Scholarship**: annual award competition for current sophomore and junior students seeking to become leading researchers in STEM fields. Research experience is a desirable qualification for student nominees.
- Department of Defense Science, Mathematics And Research for Transformation (SMART) Scholarship for Service Program: opportunity for STEM students to receive a full scholarship and be gainfully employed by the Department of Defense (DoD) upon degree completion.
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP): recognizes and supports outstanding graduate students in NSF-supported science, technology, engineering, and mathematics disciplines who are pursuing research-based master's and doctoral degrees at accredited United States institutions. Current seniors and first-year graduate students are eligible.
- Department of Energy Computational Science Graduate Fellowship (CSGF): provides benefits and opportunities to students pursuing doctoral degrees in fields that use high-performance computing to solve complex science and engineering problems. Current seniors and first-year graduate students are eligible.
A more comprehensive list of external funding opportunities is available on the UK Office of Nationally Competitive Awards website.
Since 2009, the Office of Undergraduate Research has awarded $148,290 in Research Travel Grants to UK undergraduate students presenting their research at professional meetings and conferences.
The Office of Undergraduate Research offers SEVEN funding and competitive awards programs for undergraduate researchers, including Research Travel Grants, Student Research Competitions, and Summer Research Fellowships.
Since 2018, 371 undergraduate researchers have participated in OUR funding programs and received financial support to continue their research and creative endeavors.